Sunday, September 23, 2012

Pokemans?! No, really.

Ok, this might just blow your mind: when I was ten years old, I was into Pokemon. No, really. You know, like every other ten year old at the time, except I would willingly admit it. :D  I'm a fan of the old stuff, and when it comes to the generation after generation of new pokemon, it's become like a bad novel series - it just needs to stop.



I find the idea of a widening generational gap within the same game absolutely fascinating. There are so many memes, comics, and writings about growing up with 'pocket monsters' - it left a mark on us, and that's why we still love them! Think back to the games that you loved to play, the 8-bit ones with the terrible music, and it makes us want to go back and play them again.

But then we get older. And the old stuff gets more awesome.

Gyrados vs Articuno - Gyrados uses splash!

Yes, THAT is Gengar. Is your mind not blown?!
 The stories and cute little 'monsters' you played with as a kid get twisted into the awesome stories and art of today. I think the memes are there to remind us of just how embarrassing it was when  we were little, but all the fan art, the really cool, realistic stuff, is there to show us that ANYTHING can become meaningful or gritty, creepy or inspiring. It brings back those memories when we were kids, the ones that made us love pokemon in the first place.

Isn't Photoshop just awesome?

2 comments:

  1. I love what you said about the fan art showing us that anything can become meaningful or inspiring. That is a really interesting point and I totally feel that there is a sense of nostalgia when I see these images that remind me of my childhood. These images have enchanted that embarrassing period of my life and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you pointed out that stuff we played with as kids are turned into awesome stories today. The fan art is vivid, which is different from the original images. The abilities of technology have changed and allowed this type of creativity. It refreshes the images of our childhood and allows us continuing enjoyment. I like the examples you provided. They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete