Monday, September 17, 2012

Elves and hyperlinking

So I was thinking of using elves as a possible topic because there are so many definitions and cultures of elves created by authors, games, movies, and myths. One site I found introduced the culture of elves for a game I've never heard of. Here is the link http://www.elftown.com/_elves.

This site used a lot of hyperlinks on the many pages. This worked well because when you are introducing an entire culture for a game, there will be many questions along the way. I liked the hyperlinks because I could go to a different page to read more about something that caught my eye and then return to the original page that I was on when I was ready. Sometimes I kept clicking links continually and found myself on entirely different topics concerning elves. I was able to get the information I needed when I wanted it. It made the website more informational for the new reader.

3 comments:

  1. Do you prefer when links open up new tabs/windows? I always scrunch my face when that doesn't happen automatically. I'm too easily distracted to new things, forgetting where I started that I need to keep original windows open so that as I go along closing the ones I don't need anymore, I come across what I was originally doing and get back to work. So basically I've stopped trusting links. Any time I want to follow a link, I press command/control first to guarantee a new window. Boo to "Back"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use "control" when searching on the internet as well. I hate using the "back" button because then you have to wait for the internet page to load and you know you're going to have to go back to the main page no matter what. I'd rather have a thousand tables to sort through than click back a bunch of times. So yes, I prefer when links make my tabs open in new windows. It makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we'll have to make sure to ask if there's a source class tag to ensure that links pop open in new windows always.

    ReplyDelete