Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pokemon on Youtube

Okay, so Pokemon is a kids' show, right?

Right?

Well, thanks to the power of the internet... Pokemon has become something very interesting.


I apologize for the language in that one (though IMO, it's HILARIOUS because of it). Those of us who grew up in the crux of the Pokemon revolution are now no longer living at home with their parents - we've moved on to make things like this. :D  If anyone watching this is familiar with the Game Boy games, then you'll notice that even the mechanics of Pokemon are perfect targets for parody.


Oh man. I can't even watch this for very long without tears coming to my eyes. Not because it's any good, mind you, but because memories of my awkward childhood keep flooding my mind with embarrassment and regret. Wait, did I say that out loud? Anyway, that's what makes these things so dang funny - we look back at our own experiences with this game/anime/force of nature.

Then there's attempts like these, though honestly, they seems to be few and far between:


Yes, a realistic, gritty version of pokemon filled with murder and intrigue. It always seems to happen to video games: really cool movie trailers, but not very cool movies. But, of course, the ones that turn into movies are Doom, Resident Evil, and Tomb Raider, and their emphasis is already in violence and drama. Of course, Mario already tried a big screen debut with a gritty, realistic approach... And we know what happened to that one. *shiver* Freaks me out just thinking about it.

The generation that grew up with Pokemon is becoming the generation who is now creating media, movies, and art. Not a problem, in my book.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you pointed out how Pokemon has evolved as the fans grew older. The videos you picked are good examples of this. Do you think that the way pokemon has evolved for the older fans has changed how pokemon is viewed by newer, younger fans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I may have tried to watch all of the pokemon in real life. I think I got to four. Though, have you seen this? http://boxofdanger.com/shows/pokemon-the-abridged-series/
    Must. Watch. Them. All.

    ReplyDelete