Saturday, October 6, 2012

Baby Don't Worry

There is quite the variety of video production available on youtube about breast cancer awareness. In general they aren't manipulations of pre-existing media, though some do use background music of popular songs.

Media or entertainment shows poke fun at the confusion of how the awareness of October organizes monetary proceeds when the color pink rakes in the dough, and the irony of how some products that seem somewhat harmful to environment or health also "go pink." I agree with the one I watched involving "Modern Lady" where she discusses the strange marketing strategies of turning everything pink. If we get talking about it, somehow that will lead to a cure? Could help, sure. If I buy that yogurt, they'll donate money toward funding cure research. It makes sense if you were going to buy yogurt anyway, but there are so many percentages of proceeds going to who knows where that it seems if you really cared, you'd donate straight to research centers. But because you bought that yogurt you've done your part. You're involved. Anyway.

Talk and Morning show hosts join in on the conversation.

Several "amateurs" have animated ditties or survival stories.

Also there are naked women with videos of self breast exams. Hooray. There's a surprising amount of videos displaying pink fingernails. Um, I don't think two-inch fingernails are very conducive to self breast exams, even if they are pink.

This one below is kinda fun. It does make me think, "hey, get back to work curing breast cancer" but, it's nice that they could all let loose together and have some fun despite the serious work they're doing. The janitor is my favorite.

 

6 comments:

  1. This is repentance for not commenting enough... :)

    But seriously, watching the BYU vs Utah State game, I loved how all of BYU's players were wearing pink gloves, pink shoes, and/or put pink paint on their faces for October's Breast Cancer awareness.

    Do these actually benefit the research going on towards discovering a cure for cancer? No idea. But it does remind me personally of members of my family who've gone through it (like my grandma, who survived it). If anything, it helps us remember the people afflicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troy, that's a good point. It's not about the pink or pennies, it's about the people. I've been thinking of ways I can make my end project more interesting, and I think maybe you've given me an idea to focus on the people. If not personal stories, ways to make the site most beneficial FOR people. One idea I had was to link a donation page where people would be reassured their money would go directly to research centers but maybe I can add the element of reassured donation sites to sufferers and survivors, because It's not a cheap experience to go through. I'll do some more research to make my site more credible and interesting and useful to people.

    Since my site doesn't have much to do with entertainment, I feel like my approach has to be different. I could include entertaining elements and links, but my approach will be to have it be more useful in its user friendliness. Anyway, just thinking aloud. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right in needing to take a different approach. A lot of us picked fun topics we'd enjoy. You picked something fun and thought provoking. Kudos to you!

      Delete
  3. I'm not going to lie, I think you've got the best topic and I really love your idea about making it something where it can actually help the people! I've actually worked with a support group here in Orem so if you need any information on how to get help with that let me know and I can give you some contact information.

    Also, I'm with Troy. I really love how the color pink does make you think of those you love who have gone through it, but I'd really like to know what wearing pink at football games or wearing pink ribbons actually does to help the cause. It it simply to make you more aware? Or is there more significant purposes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pink finger nails definitely show support, especially when combined with the self breast exams. They go hand in hand. And everyone will remember it and be alerted to breasts.

    On a more serious note, I think it's a good point how pink reminds us of breast cancer. Even if my money spent on something pink didn't go to research, as long as someone remembers and is alerted about breast cancer I helped.

    Do you remember those plastic bracelets that said "I love boobies?" They were everywhere about 2 years ago. This post makes me wonder if buying those actually sent money to research funds or was it just a "I care about breast cancer" statement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever looked into the sexualization of breast cancer awareness? It was a big deal a while ago.

    ReplyDelete